Tuesday, April 17, 2007

music for one album review for 'mobile disco roadshow'











Regular readers of my webzine
'Setting Sun' (http://www.geocities.com/aen1mpo)
will know I have a very varied in taste in music
varying from metal to bossanova jazz to folk, switching
from Astrud Gilberto to Nine Inch Nails last night alone
without batting a eyelid sometimes.

Reviewing albums is often a different game altogether
however where instead of often just listening to albums,
I will pay more attention to the structure and listen to the
background ambience as much as the music itself.

A good case in point is Sherry aka Music for One's
incredibally limited new album 'Mobile Disco Roadshow'
which fuses a haunting mixture of experimental rock
and country instrumental music which is played
according to the sleeve notes by ' Sherry, a
couple of guitars, a bunch of effects pedals,
the odd screwdriver and sometimes the audience'

The mention of the word screwdriver in the previous
pargraph gives a good hint to how noisy some of these
tracks can be for example 'Beyonce' which is as
noisy and freeform a track I have heard in the
past few years, but this is counter balanced by
'The Sea Swallowed Me' which is a haunting example
of Post Rock and made me shiver for a good five to
ten minutes after I finished listening to it.

Comparisons are difficult in particular when listening
to the album as a whole, but some of the track such as
a ' a short winter' are excellent mood pieces which when
I closed my eyes took me back to a bad winter in Manchester
back in the late 1970's when I was growing up and 'Flies covered
my lips' brings to thought the last sounds you may hear just befroe
you die or a moment when you may feel pretty uncomfortable
with something like when a fly jumps all over you.

Sherry's music I guess goes much more than just mood
and memories. It's music that taps away at the root of your
conscious mind and if you give it enough time, it will
reap huge rewards. After all, anybody who calls their
album 'Mobile Disco Roadshow' deserves a pay on the
back for the title if nothing else.

Excellent.

Please go to http://www.musicforone.com/ for more details
and if the album is sold out - nag her to get it reissued (It's worth it!)

No comments: