Friday, January 02, 2009

Music for One - The Red Thumb (Review)
















What I love about listening to a variety off music is the fact

sometimes you honestly never know what you are going to.

On Christmas Day for example I set my music matchjukebox

on my PC to play some tracks at total random, and it

pulled out some tracks which threw me a little certainly.


First up it brought up some post disco music from Blackpool called

‘Little Boots’ which was then followed up with some mood music

from the last but one Nine Inch Nails album ‘Ghosts’, which was

then followed in due course by a couple of tracks from one of

my bands DIH (off it's forthcoming album) and then suddenly it

threw out some tracks I didn’t know.


I had a look further into this and jukebox didn’t say who the

track was. It just said audio track 2, which said to me it was

probably something I would have ripped from a CD or CDR to

drop onto my mp3 player. Either way, it was beautiful instrumental

recorded just an what I was getting with a guitar with a primal

hunger that I had heard since Nick Drake’s ‘Pink Moon’ album.


The music was mood music certainly with a timeless hunger that

could have recorded in the 1930’s or 1940’s but had a feel to

it that suggested to me it sounded like it had being recorded

recently. I looked into the mp3’s further and traced them to

a folder on my PC which told me the name of the artist

was ‘Music for One’ and the album was called‘The Red Thumb’.


Without offering tons off whaffle, I first met Canadian

born Sherry Ostapovitch aka Music for One at a house

party concert in Levenshulme in 2005. I’d never forget

that set as she played a frightening guitar set which mixed

crunching solo guitar with effects and delay pedals which

left both me and my mate stunned for a few days later.


This album is a lot softer and completely different in

tone, as interestingly on the sleeve notes it says it

was recorded on a 2 track tape recorder in a handful

of hours in Spring 2007 with no multi tracking

or editing. Certainly from listening to the album, the tone

is certainly suggestive of a night time recording with

songs in a complete change in tone from the first time

I saw her.


Songs here since certainly seem to be reaching back

to the past, hence the reference to Nick Drake

before but also touching to old, old blues records

which probably makes sense considering a cover

version of Skip James’s (Devil’s got my woman) is

at the end of the record which could be slight

reference to her own guitar playing with the title

alone.


Either way, the playing here is ghostly and on

some songs for ‘The wind from the Irish Sea’ the guitar

is so faint, it almost sounded like it was almost recorded

in another room in places, but played so subtle when

you get into the album, it is a difficult place to pull yourself

out off.


Recommended.


For more details – contact Sherry directly on

musicforone@riseup.net


OR go to this page on her page which has a couple off mp3's

available for sampling (they are lovely)


http://www.musicforone.com/recordings.htm

No comments: