Sunday, August 24, 2008

At Write Out Loud, Middleton Sunday 24th August 2008




















As some of you know, certainly over this year, I have
being a busy bee managing to make a number of appearances
at open mike nights in Manchester and associated areas and even
on the internet (Hi Coll!) over 2008.

I must admit it has proved a major learning curve certainly
doing all of this and despite the fact some of my earlier ones
showed a awful lot of nerves, the more I have done off this the
more and more my own confidence has grown.

Generally this has more being at Freed Up Poets in Manchester
(http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=15031719009&ref=ts)
where I have performed at nearly every event this year since
Feb 2008 and also at a number of other places.

For whatever reason, i have not performed at any of the Write Out
Loud events which if you look around the local writing scene in
Manchester, England are very frequent.



Write Out Loud is a North West organisation which describes
themselves as 'everyone from who writes poetry to share their words
with others in friendly welcoming open floor read around and open
mic events.' They also say they support indivdual poets, and
organizations and groups across the country'

I first came across myself towards the beginning off
2007 if my memory is correct when the person who used
to run the writing group I used to go to
'24 Hour Arty People'

(this group http://www.myspace.com/24hourartypeople

NOT this group

http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=17229507415

who I hope to work with soon on a project),

who slagged them off a fair bit,
shall we say for reasons I won't go into here.

If I am honest, as I try to be, I decided at the time I
would keep a open mind on things and perhaps someday
perform there and see what I thought for myself but true
to the way my life goes, it didn't happen.

Fast forward 18 or so months passed, 24 Hour Arty People have
now split and I helped form another group from it's ashes 'Trio Writers'
(http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=15947196131&ref=ts)
and my buddy Antonionioni talked me into going to one on
the Sunday Night.

I was a bit uncertain to start with, partly because off the
s**t that was said previously, but I agreed to go since it
was a bank holiday and I wouldn't have to worry about getting up
in the morning, so I said yes..

And my thoughts....?

Well, I must admit I quite enjoyed it.. It was a pretty relaxed night
to start with certainly.. I got gassing to a few people who I had
met briefly on the Write Out Loud website and saw somebody
I used to university with whom I hadn't seen in the better part
off 7 odd years which was nice...

The only thing I didn't like was the room we were in,
but I was advised that wasn't the normal room they
normally read out in as it was getting used for some
function.

I did see that function room and it was a lovely room
without doubt! I would have loved to seen what that
would have being like! It would have being my bet, it
would have being lovely..

Either way, the next one is a month's time at the end
off September which I reckon I will be sadly away at,
but they will be starting a regular open mike night
up my way at Waterside Arts Centre, Sale Town
Centre M33 7ZF - 7.30pm on Wednesday
October 15th 2008.

I think I will certainly be at that one, and who
knows at what others in the meantime! (I currently
have two in September, two in October already
excluding this one and at least two in November
and that is stuff excluding Write Out Loud)

Write Out Loud can be found at http://www.writeoutloud.net

The photograph at the top of this gallery can be seen
here with loads off others from the night..

http://www.writeoutloud.net/public/galleryview.php?galleryID=196




No comments: