Friday, August 01, 2008

Poetry Society in Manchester / couple of new poems















Tony last night conned me into trying out a new writing
workshop last night at the Lowry Centre, Salford Quays.



For those who know me, you would know I am in the middle of
taking a summer’s break from writing poetry after frankly it was
starting to leave me a bit burnt out and I thought a total break
would have refresh me for when I started again proper in September.



Anyway, Tony conned me into coming down for this group and while
I think the group has a lot off work to do to keep improving in perhaps
with the discussion stage of the work, the group itself was small
enough to have some good fun with it in particular with the writing
workshop that followed where we did something like 3 different
writing exercises in 45 minutes.



The work I did is varied as tends to be with work shop stuff I think
but just for fun I would share them all with you…



The ‘Sometimes’ poem is un-finished and perhaps I will return to it, but not yet anyhow..




Sometimes


Sometimes in winter
It makes perfect sense.


Sometimes when the skies
Litters the ground
With snow
It makes perfect sense.



The temp nose dives
Like a pissed off hawk
And the thickest gloves
Don’t protect your hands
It makes perfect sense.


But what if the weather
Wasn’t so cold?


**

Computer Love


Oh computer, oh computer
Shall I compare thee
To a summer’s day?


Shall I compare our
Relationship like tender lovers
Where I stroke your
Keyboard
Like it was a hand.


Oh computer, oh computer
Shall I recall the first
Time we met
And I sat down
On my chair
And looked at you playfully.


Or should I just tell
You what I really
Think of you?

**

Advantage upon Advantage


The advantage in writing
Poems where you don’t
know where you are going
is UNKNOWN


The advantage in writing
Poems where you don’t
Know what the next stanza
Or indeed line
Is UNKNOWN


The advantage, the advantage
In writing poems
Is UNKNOWN
If you don’t know where
You are going.


If this happens
Why not write a
Short story indeed?


(Picture borrowed from here - http://flickr.com/photos/irashid007/954591589/in/set-72157602243225502/)


No comments: