Friday, July 30, 2010

Coll B Lue – Poetical Inspirations, a review



















I first met Coll B Lue (Coll to me) at the end of 2007 after I got to know her through myspace which then led to me and some members of my then writing group doing a interview for her internet radio show ‘Literaryspot’ (Later Lit Media Reviews) on a number of occasions from 2007 to the end of 2009. I always remember her telling me at the time, she had published a few books but wasn’t aware until recently, they were both still in print.


The first one I got (the second has just being ordered) ‘Poetical Inspirations’ I think dates originally from 2007 for a first collection is perhaps a little longer than I have normally seen (with the exception of Charles Bukowski of which this is nothing like in the slightest) at almost 100 pages with something around 94 poems in it. Of course,

certainly reading that many poems is interesting as of course, so many poems in a book frame adds up to a lot off poetry to take in, but given patience I think the rewards are justified as poems like ‘Your Truly’ which has a subtle twist in it’s ending (‘So here lies my bed’) which is close, very close to William Carlos Williams.


Col lists her influences as of artists as much as writers as Van Gogh, Jacob Van Rusidael, Rembrandt’s ‘Sasha’ and Frans Hal’s ‘Laughing Cavilar’ which is interesting as her use of language throughout a lot of the poetry in the book is stripped down, often using just a few words per lines like ‘The airy light / gets lighter / when time is spent / and lent’ in Ethereal is sparse enough to be a painting with words and being painted under a Candle in the dim of night.


Certainly with poetry books like this, it would be interesting to see how the writer would project herself with poems like this on the stage, as a lot of the sounds in the book for me are possibly best read in late night softly, but it’s a book that certainly has layers and layers that require some exploring.

And that in my mind is always a good thing with books.








No comments: