Monday, July 12, 2010

Expanded comment from Katy's blog

On Katy Konrad's excellent blog:
(http://quickbrownfox-katy.blogspot.com/)

I posted a long comment about developments in writing - this is the highlights off it with a little bit of expansion

' I think it is always nice to have a development in your writing if you feel you are making that much progress and it is natural to want to try out other fields within it.

I think I started myself back in 2008 making appearances here and there and by the end of the year had made 37 appearances in some form or the other. (I keep a log book on everything so I know what I have read out and where to prevent duplication.

In 2009, I took it a bit further and did 57 - yep, that's at least one a week
before my health failed me a bit at the end of the year and this year I have took it a bit easier and only managed 28 by now! lol

As you progress, I think you start to discover with every night as with every audience what works somewhere does not work in other places. I read out a Christmas poem for example last year in one venue near where I live and it went down okay near where I live, and then a week later I read it out at a night I used to co-run and the audience
went nuts over it. Crazy or what?

Of course, this natural development will involve wanting to get your stuff published. This I find is somewhat harder. I published my first book (a best off my stuff from last year) through lulu.com earlier on this year as I wanted
full control off it. The second book which I reckon will be out at the end of this year, maybe the start off 2011 maybe a bit different but it's worth keeping your eyes open on publishers, just don't expect to make lots off money
on it as I don't think there is tons flying ..

A good suggestion would to buy or borrow the writers yearbook.. It's pretty helpful but my most important advice is to simply keep enjoying it'

No comments: